The sidewalk dining ordinance passed back in May but at last night’s City Council meeting, the Council unanimously passed the permit fee structure: no cost till at least next May, 2009. Yay! Community Development Director Brian O’Connell said to me that he’ll have one of the City’s summer interns visit all downtown establishments in person Real Soon Now with a simple permit form for them to sign.
Left: After I left the Council meeting, I found some of the NDDC board members at the Cow, socializing a bit after a meeting. I told them the news. See the happy thumbs.
Center: Division street could soon be looking like 14th Av. SE in Dinkytown, in front of the Loring Pasta Bar.
Right: Eventually, sidewalk dining could spill out onto Division St. like this restaurant in Monterossa al Mare in the Cinque Terre region of Italy.
We raised the issue of sidewalk dining (with alcohol) in a 10-minute discussion on Locally Grown podcast #7 back in Feb. of 2006. The NDDC raised the issue way back in April of 2005. They added it to their agenda for downtown and we’ve both been pursuing the issue ever since. Here’s an index of blog posts:
- Locally Grown podcast #7: (topics included outdoor dining on public spaces in downtown), Feb.11 2006
- Locally Grown podcast #16: Sidewalk dining; Northfield Library expansion report, May.5 2006
- Locally Grown podcast: downtown streetscape, library expansion, sidewalk dining, etc., Oct.9 2006
- Podcast: real estate guide wars, news racks, sidewalk dining, outdoor smoking, May.21 2007
- Whither the changes to the sidewalk dining ordinance?, Jun.20 2007
- Sidewalk dining on Division St: two ways to do it, Jul.8 2007
- New issues arise with the proposed sidewalk dining ordinance, May.8 2008
- Let’s Stage a “Sit-Out”, May.22, 2008
- Are you willing to be arrested? Sign up now!, Jun.20 2008
- NDDC Seeks Stakeholder Input, April 8, 2005
- Interim City Administrator Shares Perspectives at NDDC Forum, Oct 30, 2005
- Forum Attendees Agree, Sidewalk Dining is Worth a Try, May 2nd, 2006
- Sidewalk dining in Italy, May 9, 2006
- Arts Consultant Recommends Outside Dining, May 16, 2006
- Barbara Flanagan, My Soulmate, April 26, 2007
- Decline and Fall of Western Civilization, May 3, 2007
- Rehearsing Outside Dining?, July 7, 2007
- EDA Joins Chamber and NDDC in urging the City Council to try sidewalk dining this summer, March 13, 2008
- The End of Sidewalk Dining?, May 20, 2008
Democracy works, albeit slowly.
So which Northfield eating and drinking establishments are likely to offer sidewalk dining yet this year?