I was in Duluth this weekend for the MN Voices Online Unconference (I blogged it here) and had the opportunity to meet Danna MacKenzie, the Cook County information systems director in Grand Marais. She was featured in a Strib article a couple of weeks ago about MN communities who are “lining up for part of the $7.2 billion in federal recovery money designated for broadband projects.” Northfield is about to follow suit, as at Monday’s Council meeting, Northfield’s IT Director Melissa Reeder will ask the Council to appoint a workgroup to pursue a federal stimulus grant application for a Fiber to the Premise (FTTP) project. (continued)
- 3/23 council mtg: Addendum to packet: Addendum-1-General-Overview-of-FTTP-Study (PDF)
- 3/23 council mtg: Addendum to packet: Addendum-2-FTTP-Executive-Summary_1 (PDF)
- Northfield News: Stimulating fiber optics in Northfield?
- Blandin Foundation’s Broadband blogger Ann Treacy’s post, Cook County ready for the Jackpot
- Cook County Broadband Initiative web site
- MinnPost: PolarNet: More risk than reward? And should government even be involved?
- North St. Paul PolarNet (referendum defeated on Feb. 23)
- North St. Paul Council resolution (post-referendum)