The Lee Lansing Chronicles, chapter 72

Lansing Garden CenterIn yesterday’s Northfield News: Lansing trespassing, says owner of 600 Division site:

A no trespassing order, served by police Wednesday on Lee Lansing, says the former mayor must close his Division Street garden center. Lansing has been given until Sunday to remove his personal belongings, mostly bedding plants and hanging baskets. The new property owner, Voyager Bank, asked the police to issue a no trespass order against Lansing… The bank is in negotiations with Jerry Anderson, a local entrepreneur interested in buying the property. Anderson said Friday he told Lansing he could open the shop.

1. Mary Schier said:

Folks might want to know that the flower stand is being sold out as of this morning. Everything is half price.

May 10, 2009
  2. norman butler said:

City’s Halls campaign of harassment and intimidation against our former Mayor continues unabated whilst our once highly regarded City and citizenry continue to be forced to wallow in the reek as the same two highly paid and thus far totally unaccountable senior members of staff this time use and abuse our legal and police departments to pursue their malevolent and very personal vendetta against Lansing. Like the Spanish Inquisition and other reigns of terror, will they only be satisfied when he is made to suffer at the stake so that he may be cleansed of his sins, real and imagined? His crime this time? Making pretty a derelict corner of Division Street by selling flowers.

May 10, 2009
  3. Bright Spencer said:

I was just gonna say the Northfield scene looks more and more like Chicago politics everyday. Guess Norm beat me to it!

May 10, 2009
  4. David Henson said:

Norman, I clicked through to the NNews article and there are a series of anonymous posts against the former mayor. I wonder if the News can even tell if these posters are unique readers as the posts seem so similarly virulent in tone that I am guessing most are the same person posting under multiple personas.

May 10, 2009
  5. norman butler said:

David: listen to pietro, fart in the general direction of all others.

May 10, 2009

I am waiting for the whole story to come out on this latest chapter of the Soap Opera entitled “How Long is the ‘City’ of Northfield Going to Continue to Brutalize its Citizens?” (subtitle: “Will a New City Council be Able to, or Have the Strength to, Realize that there is No Shame for Either Party in Being the Employers of their Employees, i.e. the City Staff?”)

May 11, 2009
  7. Tracy Davis said:

I’m also waiting for the whole story to come out.

I don’t think city staff can be blamed for harrassment when someone is squatting on someone else’s property, and the property owner brings an action which needs to be enforced.

I don’t understand under what laws Jerry Anderson can tell Lee that he can open a flower shop when Jerry Anderson is not the property owner. Seems to me both Jerry and Lee took a calculated risk, and now they each have to take the consequences, whatever they are.

May 11, 2009

Wait away, Tracy … but the city staff has no right to interfere in anyones private business transactions, including the foreclosure -holding bank.

There was no one”squatting’; there were business transactions ongoing between private parties. How would you like to have the city staff call one of your production factories , and make comments about whether or not that factory should be involved with you in an ongoing business transaction? Do you think that is appropriate behavior for city staff?

May 11, 2009
  9. Bright Spencer said:

Honestly, I was afraid to go over there and see if there were plants to be purchased.
    Too nice of a day to spend in jail.

May 11, 2009
  10. norman butler said:

Tracy: imagine…that its not about the law but about relationships and what is best for us all at this time in this place.

May 11, 2009

Norman, I think it’s BOTH about relationships and the law.

The bad blood between Lee and the city hall staff (Brian O’Connell and John Brookins) has been there for a long time. But we now have a new City Administrator, Joel Walinski, who, as far as I know, doesn’t have this problematic history with Lee.

When Lee did the “act now, ask for forgiveness/permission later”, it seems to me that the most sensible route for Joel was to intervene and enforce the letter of the law, regardless of whether or not Brian or John overstepped a boundary by contacting the bank.

The four new members of the City Council likewise don’t have a problematic history with Lee that I know of. But I’m inclined to believe that they would all support Joel on this.

So yeah, what Tracy said. Lee and Jerry took a calculated risk in ignoring the relationship history and they lost.

12. Tracy Davis said:

Kiffi and Norman, No matter how much we might wish differently, city staff can’t issue permits for businesses that are in the process of being served legal papers to remove them from the premises. That’s not harrassment.

• kiffi summa said:

Sorry to vehemently disagree, Tracy.
      There was no permit needed.
      There were no ‘legal’ papers served.

There was , and is, harassment.

There was definitely improper involvement of the city staff with the bank.

P.S. You didn’t answer my question in #8…

May 12, 2009

Griff: if you think “bad blood” doesn’t continue to flow through City Hall, I think you’re mistaken.

Also, “bad blood” is no excuse for city staff interfering with a bank, and the people they are doing business with, and the private business arrangements those two people have with each other.

Furthermore, “bad blood” is no justifiable reason for any of the recent events of the last week to have happened, but when the whole story comes out I think you may have to agree … it was BAD “bad blood”… and it will continue to “poison” this town until corrected.

14. Tracy Davis said:

Kiffi – What is your authority for asserting that city staff called… whom? …. to make comments about whether he/she/it should be involved with.. whom again?

Really, I don’t understand the allegation here, but according to the bank they were in no negotiations with Lee whatsoever.

May 12, 2009

Tracy: I, and quite a few others, have talked with the person who has a purchase agreement with the bank, and who had the bank’s agreement to allow the purchaser to allow the business on the property, which was a PRIVATE agreement between the purchaser and the business, after the purchaser obtained a PRIVATE agreement from the bank.

Also, quite a few people have heard of the city staff’s interference in this whole process, including their phone calls to the bank, and also their ‘threatening’ the bank if they (city staff) did not get the desired result. This also from the purchaser of the property.

There is no way the staff’s behavior is defensible, if what the purchaser reports is accurate, and after all, he/she is the actively involved entity.

As to your last sentence … it seems to refer back to the newspaper article which states that(re: Lansing), after also saying” the bank declined to comment”. Are you taking the paper’s word ? when they say both ‘yes’ and ‘no’? Did the paper get a comment from the bank? They say “No”.
    So, I don’t understand your position, either.

And, Tracy my friend, you still haven’t answered my question in #8 ..

16. Tracy Davis said:

Kiffi, if the question you’re referring to is:

“How would you like to have the city staff call one of your production factories , and make comments about whether or not that factory should be involved with you in an ongoing business transaction? Do you think that is appropriate behavior for city staff?”

I would not like it, nor would I think it appropriate.

However, it’s not clear to me that that is in fact what has happened in this case. (And I am not getting any of my information from the Northfield News.)

If Jerry Anderson did indeed have a written agreement with Voyager Bank about allowing a business on the property prior to closing (and honestly, I can’t believe that’s true – if it is I hope you’ll ask Jerry to comment here), then that’s one point settled.

I have a problem with “quite a few people have heard of the city staff’s interference…” Heard what, from whom? If the source of this information was not actually present when a call was made, or had a recording of the call, how can we know it’s true?

If your answer is, “Jerry Anderson was told by Mr./Ms. XYZ at Voyager Bank that __________ from the City of Northfield called to inform them of _________ or ask them to ____________ ” I will grant that may have some validity, but I would still allow for misunderstanding and miscommunication of something that is several steps removed from the horse’s mouth.

17. Tracy Davis said:

Kiffi, let me lay out what I believe to be the facts and you can tell me if something’s missing.

1. The City Attorney’s office was requested by Voyager Bank to take action regarding trespass on the property owned by the bank (the old Tires Plus).

2. Voyager Bank has, in the past, had agents who personally visit their foreclosed properties to be sure that the properties are safe, not being vandalized, etc.

3. The City Attorney’s office has received no documentation of any agreement between Voyager Bank and anyone else regarding that property (and they have been in touch with Jerry Anderson’s attorney); as of last week, the president of Voyager Bank was not aware of any agreement.

It sounds to me that this is a “repo man” action which the property owner is perfectly justified in taking.

May 12, 2009

Tracy: The information you quote in #’s 16, 17, does not agree with what Mr. Anderson told me, with what Mr. Anderson said his attorney said, nor with what Mr. Anderson said the bank said … so I guess we’ll all just have to wait and see, what those primarily involved CHOOSE to tell.

What I don’t understand, Tracy, is that you have had much to question re: the city staff’s behavior over your time on the Planning Commission; now you seem to find it hard to believe that there might be any inappropriate behavior.

However, my basic issue is certainly not with you… It is this ongoing ‘harassment’ of a person trying to do business in the downtown . I just don’t see the ‘witch hunt’ ever ceasing.
    And the newspaper needs to write headlines based on PRIMARY sources, not their opinion.

May 12, 2009

The core facts of this case do seem to be primary-sourced. The Northfield Police are the primary source:

From Suzanne,

The new property owner, Voyager Bank, asked the police to issue a no trespass order against Lansing.

From Jaci,

The Northfield Police told us who asked for the no trespass order. As with any other such complaint, we would have no reason to doubt the police when they say Voyager Bank asked for it.

It is always unfortunate when any landowner is unable to pay their home (or business) loan. When they do, they lose both their ownership of their property, as well as their right to use that property. It is also, sadly, very common this year.

The family who used to live across the street from us lost their home to the bank for much the same reason. After that happened, they weren’t allowed to reside there any longer, either.

May 12, 2009

Patrick: Clearly you do not understand what primary source means in journalism. It’s not what ANYBODY, even the police said, but what the originator of the action says, and you will note, by the newspaper’s own words, the bank declined to comment.
    Why don’t you ask the paper to link to a copy of the citation, not an unverifiable quote, police or not… and then go a step farther and ask what caused the bank to ask for such an order when they had made a verbal arrangement with the current holder of a purchase agreement … and if the bank declines to comment? Then the newspaper cannot make unverified assumptions.

Kiffi,
    From “Journalism 101”:

It’s fundamental journalism that reporters rely on two types of sources: primary and secondary. A primary source is one with firsthand knowledge of a story.

When Suzy reports that…

…they have a primary source with firsthand knowledge of this fact: The Northfield Police Department.

Since the Northfield Police Department received the request, they are a primary source for that fact.

Would it be more clear for you if Suzy had ignored all of her English teachers’ warnings, and written the article in the passive voice, and instead said:

The police were asked by the new property owner, Voyager Bank, to issue a no trespass order against Lansing.

The fact is the same; only the phrasing is different.

Finally, Kiffi, if you have concerns about how the Northfield News is reporting on this story, perhaps you should post your concerns in the News’s comment section for the story in question.

22. Curt Benson said:

Kiffi, the Northfield News is not the only entity, organization or individual that has had issues with the former mayor. The News is doing its job by reporting these issues.

Here’s a partial list off the top of my head–no doubt I’ve forgotten others: City councilors/past and present and former mayors who asked Lansing to resign, the Everett Reports I & II, Goodhue county prosecutors, former business partners, city staffers, the former city manager, the IRS, former landlords, unpaid vendors and taxpayers who have paid thousands in unnecessary attorney fees. Are we to believe all of these have colluded in a Kafkaesque “witch hunt”?

Your scapegoating of the News is shameful. I would think you’d be tired by now of inventing preposterous rationalizations for Mr. Lansing.

May 12, 2009

Patrick: maybe you can understand it if it is put in the realm of a concern for you…
    You have a patient that has the need for some serious and sensitive diagnostic test on the results of which you will base a decision.
    You order the test at a lab.
    You ask them to fax you the lab results.
    A person from the lab calls you and says, “Dr. Enders the results of test x are blah , blah, blah” …
    You say, “please fax me the results as I requested.”
    The person from the lab says, “Dr Enders, I am reading them to you off the lab test results form”.

You might accept that; I believe you would not if there was ant possibility that the person reading the numbers to you on the form had ANY possible margin of error, innocent or not, that could cause you to make a wrong decision.
    I believe you would ask for the results to be faxed to you, per your request.
    That test result form is the primary source.

This issue, whether you wish to believe it or not, is also dealing with people’s lives, and if the public is to make evaluations of other people’s life situations, based on the less than accurate presentation of fact, and it’s going to be called “The Lee Lansing Chronicles, Chapter 72”, then this ought to be as close to fact as it can be, and not some ridiculous ‘soap opera’ finger pointing.

Finally, Patrick, if you wish to write on the newspaper website do so…
    I do not choose to.

May 12, 2009

Curt: You may have seen me speaking with Jerry Anderson at the Safety Center Open House.
    Why don’t you call up Mr. Anderson and ask him what he was telling me?

Kiffi,
    Your analogy is flawed.

It would be more appropriate for the report to be:
    “Dr. Enders ordered this lab test.”

That statement would be just as accurate whether it was based upon asking me – as the author of that order, as it would be if it were based upon the statement of the lab technician who received that order.

In either case, (putting aside issues of patient confidentiality for the sake of your flawed analogy) it would be equally accurate for the Nfld News to reports that it had a primary source for that statement of fact – whether they got that piece of information from myself, or from the lab technician.

But enough of your irrelevant analogies. Why not get back to the actual fact of the case:

Simple statement, easily verified by asking either the bank or the police. The fact that the bank had “no comment” does not make the police statement unreliable.

May 12, 2009

Enough of your dismissals by reading journalism 101, or by saying “Dr Enders ordered the lab test” which has 0 to do with you receiving a primary source report on the test you ordered in the hypothetical.

Listen Patrick, I’ll ask you the same thing I asked Curt… If you’re so sure of the veracity of the News report, ask them to link to the hard copy of the document served. Saying something was done does not make anything true, it is only saying that the police told them it was done. And a document was SHOWN to Lee Lansing by the police. Ask your favorite newspaper to link to it, so it can be seen… and then see what you think. Call Jerry Anderson and ask him to tell you what he was telling me at the Safety Center Open House.

And no one seems to want to deal with the actions of the city staff ,which as reported by one of the principals involved, was way out of line in their phone calls to the bank. Did the newspaper report on those phone calls? The primary sources are right here; did they ask those primary sources about their actions?

The whole story is never told; I call it ‘selective journalism’.

Kiffi,
    Will you refuse to believe that the Voyager Bank asked the police dept. to issue a no trespass order until you see the actual order?

Good for you. I admire your skepticism. Much like Thomas, you will wait to see the actual physical evidence before believing. If I were Lee Lansing, I would also refuse to accept such a thing until I had seen the actual order. That level of skepticism is quite reasonable in matters of great personal importance.

Unlike you, however, I am willing to provisionally accept as a fact that the bank requested a ‘no trespass’ order based upon the fact that the police say they received such a request. When and if the actual order is entered into the public record, I would be able to verify that provisional fact, and raise my level of belief in its veracity.

The fact that Lee Lansing appeared to be selling off his wares and closing up his business, however, seems to corroborate the fact that he received just such an order.

On the other hand, I am open to new evidence that would contradict what, at first blush, seems to be true. Maybe he never received such an order. Maybe – in a fit of extreme irresponsibility – someone at the police department issued the order without receiving a request from the bank. If so, the facts that I have provisionally accepted would need to be revised – and someone would need to be reprimanded, or worse. However, that is mere speculation without substantiation.

Do you have any evidence to offer that would require me to doubt the simple statement:

If so, please present it.

May 12, 2009

Patrick: I have seen it. And don’t ask me to present it. It is not mine to present.
    Ask the newspaper to authenticate their claims by linking to the document, which as a newspaper they can get…or if THEY can’t, why in the world would you think I would want to “present” it?

Why, if you think I am so terribly off base, would you not ask your authority, The NFNews, to “present” it? Asking me to do so, would presume they are not responsible for the facts… (Fourth Estate, remember? Journalism 101…)

Why would you not ask the NFNews to clear up the issue of the staff calls to the bank?
    Again, if they are the source of all veracity, why not ask them for the facts you question?

Or maybe, you just don’t question any of their ‘facts’…That’s certainly your prerogative, and I believe your stated position : i.e., for the “fine job” you think they are doing.

Kiffi,
    The Nfld News did not discuss the contents of said order. They simply said,

They also stated who their primary source was for that statement:

The Northfield Police told us who asked for the no trespass order.

Seems pretty simple.

• Patrick Enders said:

Oops, sorry. Copied the wrong blockquote.

The Nfld News did not discuss the contents of said order. They simply said,

30. Tracy Davis said:

Kiffi, my dear friend,

You got to the heart of it with your comment #18 in response to my 16 and 17: You and I are working with different sets of information/facts/interpretation. You have every right to assume your source is credible, as do I mine. So, until more information is verified and documented, it’s almost a “he said, she said”.

You are certainly right that I’ve “had much to question re city staff’s behavior”. I don’t find it hard to believe that there may have been inappropriate behavior; I’m just very cautious in coming to the conclusion that such occurred without first making every allowance for a misunderstanding of fact or communication. Witch-hunts can work both directions.

May 12, 2009

Certainly, Tracy… But I said where my information came from: the person who has been dealing with the bank , in a private business transaction, about the relevant property.

Do you care to validate your differing information by saying who it came from, and if that person was involved in the relevant transaction?

May 12, 2009

By the way, I learned my lesson about writing on the NFnews website, where content is ignored and ‘trollishness’ is all, so I won’t do it.. . but someone should inquire as to why they turned off the part of their “Recent Comments” function that refers to the Lansing flower sales article.

Too many holes in their story? Too many assumptions made? Too many questions they couldn’t answer?

Kiffi,
    It’s a shame that ‘Pietro’ didn’t learn the same lesson that you learned. Now he’s just one more anonymous troll amongst all the other anonymous trolls. At least Martha Cashman and Anne Bretts (and you, over here) are brave enough to say what you believe under your own names.

As for your latest attack against the NFld News: once again, I say, “huh”? The comment function is working just fine on the “Lansing trespassing, says owner of 600 Division site” page.

Really, can’t you find a less convoluted means to attack the Northfield News for doing their job and reporting the simple fact that:

p.s. Thank you for confirming (post #28) that such an order actually exists.

34. Tracy Davis said:

Kiffi, my information came from the guy I’m sleeping with in the City Attorney’s office. At least 2 people in that office have spoken with the bank regarding the relevant property. One has spoken with Mr. Anderson’s attorney. These guys are usually pretty good at communicating the facts.

35. David Henson said:

At least Lee spruced up the vacant site with paint even if the ‘powers that be’ don’t want flowers being sold there and prefer a vacant lot ~ really I think the whole story is the story of the US economy. Whiners, complainers and rule-makers win the day (some with wildly exaggerated pay) by impeding hardworking industrious people from improving society. And the downtown becomes a bit more desolate – rather than garden sales we have another place to pee.

May 13, 2009

Tracy .. well, of course I knew that Lance had to be the source, but Jerry Anderson has a sort of different and interesting report of the discussion that he and his attorney had at the City Attorney’s (Maren Swanson) office last Wednesday.

And then maybe you also know why the City Attorney was NOT at the Big meeting(10 people? Mayor, city admin, some councilors, Jerry Anderson, various other ‘usual suspects’) that occurred last Thursday morning at the 1st Nat’l Bank South conference room, the meeting where this whole incident was discussed…

May 13, 2009

Patrick : re #33 … I always wrote with my name WHEN i wrote there (NFNews site), and if you know it’s martha CASHMAN who writes there, it’s not from current comments which only say “martha” … It could be “martha, the long lost queen of Algiers, or Martha Stewart… because there’s no last name, although i must say the style is certainly recognizable.

As for Pietro… what would you say if it turned out ALL he says is correct? Although, come to think of it, you would never agree about the newspaper; their style seems to be adequate for you.

And the “Recent Comments” on the Home Page is what I’m saying they have turned off on that subject…i.e. no recent comments from that thread have been listed there for, I think, two days now.

Kiffi, you wrote,

As for Pietro… what would you say if it turned out ALL he says is correct?

1) I’d be shocked.
    2) I’d still wonder what his point was.

Pietro’s accusations against Suzy, Jaci, and the Nfld News all seem to revolve around semantics, and parsing irrelevant details that do not call into question the accuracy of the News’s core report.

Rather, Pietro is simply a coward, hiding behind a pseudonym while he lobs random, largely irrelevant accusations against the paper in an effort to distract from the simple reported fact that,

39. David Henson said:

Patrick, the simple fact is that through the trials and travails we now have an empty block devoid of retail, no new development, no use of liquor store to anchor downtown vitality. Why it’s true that the obstructionists succeeded in preventing Lee from making any money, they also stopped his heroic efforts at providing energy and vitality as a retailer and developer downtown. We’ve succeeded in cutting off our noses to spite our face – thanks to everyone who helped make that happen.

May 13, 2009

The simple fact of this case is:

Sad as the personal situation may be (and, based on the experiences of my evicted neighbors, these situations can certainly be sad, to say the least), the legal situation is in fact very simple:

When property owners ask someone to leave their property, those people have to leave the property.

41. David Henson said:

Patrick, Is it not a simpler fact that no hardware is available at Lansing’s and no flowers are available at the Tire’s Plus location?

Unless you know someone who is going to offer up their blood, sweat and tears to make something positive in that location then the city should beg Lee to come back and subsidize his operation at least as much as they have the lawyers ($250,000 would really get things rolling over there)

May 13, 2009

Would you like to pay the special tax to fund Lee’s business? If so, why not make a proposal to the city council, or put a referendum on the ballot proposing such a thing?

43. David Henson said:

Patrick, the taxes would have been so much more special if used to fund a business rather than lawyers to kill a business.

May 13, 2009

Your wishes do not change the simple fact that the owner of the property demanded that the Lansings vacate the premises, nor the fact that the city police department is obligated to demand compliance with the landowner’s wishes.

May 13, 2009

You know, Patrick , your simple repeating over and over, of what you consider to be the simple fact, i.e.,”the new property owner, Voyageur Bank, asked the police to issue a no trespass order against Lansing” is a very simple acceptance of a situation reported by the NFNews, and which you have no personal knowledge of … and unless you are just not revealing that you have talked to any of the primary parties involved … have no primary, or even secondary source knowledge of, and yet continue to accept regardless of anyone else, from Tracy on down to me, who has spoken with involved parties.

That’s a scary acceptance for a scientist, which is how I believe you described yourself in another thread where you wished to question what was being said.
    If scientists , presented with new facts to explore, didn’t question the status quo, we’d all still think the world was flat, and the earth was the center of the universe.

Sometimes Galileo, or even “Pietro”, needs to question the hierarchical powers that be, or we would all have our worlds constrained by THEIR world view.

You can give it all up to the Jon Denisons of the world, as they sit on the bench at Econofoods, taking their little tattletale notes and then running back to City Hall to report … or you can question a ‘perceived ‘ authority for the truth …
    or maybe even a cure!

Kiffi,
    I have already discussed my level of acceptance of this statement as a ‘fact.’

I suggest that you reread my post #27, and try again.

Meanwhile, I am quite amused by your comparison of Pietro to Galileo. Galileo was a brilliant observer and experimenter. Pietro seems to be nothing more than a very little man with a very big chip on his shoulder.

47. William Siemers said:

David Henson said:

Somehow characterizing Mr. Lansing’s efforts as ‘heroic’ seems a bit of a stretch. And the irony in, “…thanks to everyone who helped make that happen”, really hits home when one considers that the most “thanks” in this case are due Mr. Lansing himself.

48. David Henson said:

The problem William is the Mr Lansing was the one who helped me get the parts I needed to fix things. He painted and applied the improvements to the Tires Plus store. And purchased products and services locally when possible. So when asked to be against the one who ACTUALLY WORKS to benefit Northfield and be in favor of those who whine about conflict of interest … I go with the simple truth … the guy put in the elbow grease. This was what America valued on the way up. It’s all media and legalise on the way down. Anyway all those against can savor their win by viewing the vacant building.

• Amber Iwanski said:

William, I agree with you. I miss the helpful, friendly service of Lansing’s. Lee would always help me locate what I needed and instructed me on how to do a project. Losing Lansing’s store was the equivilant of losing Jacobsen’s. Now that whole area sits empty and desolate.

49. Sam Friedman said:

I had a problem with Suzy’s article as well, although for the time being I’ll believe that Voyager Bank asked for the no trespassing order.

What confuses me is all the talk about city permissions to sell flowers and garden supplies. Isn’t the issue of business permits incidental to what people have been talking about here: the fact that Lansing’s family doesn’t own the property, and that the bank wants him off of it.

Also, why does city prohibit the sale of flowers and garden supplies in the downtown district? Was this restriction in response to Lansing’s business?

May 14, 2009

David Hvistendahl now has a radio show on KYMN, called ‘Law Review.’ In any other town, I might wonder whether he’d be able to find enough material of general interest to support such a show, but since this is Northfield, 30 minutes a week might be a little short.

For anyone still curious about the resolution of Chapters 32 through 71 of the Lee Lansing Chronicles, he had Britt Ackerman in the studio this week, and they discussed the current status of the Lansing case, as well as speculating about how the trial might proceed.

The short version: slowly.
    The longer version: http://kymnradio.net/archives/574

May 15, 2009
    • Patrick Enders said:

p.s. Thanks to Curt Benson for letting me know about David’s show. I’m sorry to say that don’t actually have an AM antenna for my stereo. Never felt that I needed one in any of my previous homes, but KYMN reminds me that I really need to get one of those.

May 15, 2009