Somehow, word of this got missed, so I’ll start at the end and work back to the beginning: There is an open house today (Tuesday) and tomorrow (Wednesday) from 4:00-6:00pm at Community Resource Bank, 1605 Heritage Drive. The purpose of the open house is to get reaction to each day’s work on design/concept charrettes drafted by HKG with input from the steering committee. The charrettes are very much works in process. I’ll add details to this post as I can over the next couple of hours (I’m between meetings). But for now – please plan to attend the open house and give feedback on the concepts being considered.
12:36p Here is what HKG consultant Jeff McMenamin asked the steering committee to discuss this morning:
What is your vision for the project sites?
- What is the mix of land uses? (office, industrial, retail, civic, housing, open space and parks)
- What are the patterns of development? (how are buildings, roads and open space arranged on the sites)
- What is the scale of the buildings?
- How can the project best address the issues of preserving the “small town” Northfield character?
- How can the project reflect best practices in sustainable development?
- If housing were one of the land uses explored for these sites, how should it be designed and integrated into the master plan?
- How can the greenway and open space systems be integrated into the business park sites?
- What are the opportunities and challenges presented by existing and proposed roadways?
- Are there site conditions that prevent development? How can development sensitively preserve and protect significant natural resources?
The steering committee went on a bus tour of the sites this morning, then met from 10:15 till noon to begin discussing these questions. From now till 4:00p, the HKG design team will be doing concept sketches, and at 4:00p, the steering committee is reassembling to review the sketches. The public is invited to the review from 4:00-6:00p today (Tuesday 12/1), and again tomorrow (Wednesday) at the same time and place.
12:50p I’ve added the schedule document and definition/purpose of the charrette here in PDF form.
1:25p Jane McWilliams spoon-fed me the link to the EDA packet dated 11-19. (Thank you, Jane.) It’s a large file, so I extracted the pages having to do with the business park master plan & steering committee. This information is more recent than the document I posted previously. Here it is.