I see some confusion on the Northfield Public Schools’ website regarding policies on cell phone use.
The Parent FAQ page says cell phone use is permissible between classes and at lunch:
Q: Is my student able to call me from school?
A: If they have a cell phone, they can call at any time before or after school, between classes, or at lunch time. They may not use cell phones during class time. If they do not have a cell phone, they need to bring 50 cents to use the pay phones.
The Middle School Aug/Sept 2008 Newsletter indicates that they can’t be used from the moment students enter the building:
We recognize that cell phones have become a part of everyday life in our society. However, here are a few of the disruptions that they can cause in the learning environment:
- Sending and receiving text messages between friends at the Middle School and High School.
- Phones ringing or vibrating during classes.
- Students taking pictures throughout the school day.
Because of this, we require that students turn off their phones and keep them put away when they enter the building (carrying them in their pocket is acceptable). They are more than welcome to use them after school has let out.
The Middle School Handbook spells out the consequences:
Cellular phone use is prohibited during school hours. All cell phones should be turned off and not visible during or between classes. Students who do not follow this policy could have one or more of the following consequences:
- Cell phone will be confiscated until the end of the day
- Parent will need to pick up the cell phone in the office
- Cell phone will be confiscated until the end of the year
But page 12 of the District Handbook has slightly different consequences, eg, no mention of detention for grades 6-8.
- So what is the policy and where’s the page that spells it all out?
- Are parents and students generally satisfied with the policy and its enforcement?
- Are any changes being considered?
- How does the District policy differ from polices at other schools, eg, ARTech, St. Dominic’s, Prairie Creek?