Eric ZweifelA week ago, the Northfield City Council met for a retreat (not AIG style, I’m told) and, among other things, decided to look closely at all areas of public engagement. (See last week’s Nfld News article, New council meets to begin teamwork, setting goals.)

Councilors Erica Zweifel, Jim Pokorney, and Kris Vohs are on the subcommittee to look at public engagement. They are expected report back to the Council in early Feb. with some recommendations.

I met with Erica earlier this week at the Goodbye Blue Monday to better understand the scope of their inquiry and talk a little bit about how online tools might be part of the solution.

Evidently, everything is on the table, including:

• Providing information to the public. This would include the City’s web site, monthly print newsletter, and the broadcast/streaming of video of official public meetings. (See Bonnie Obremski’s RepJ story, City could stream video by 2010, as well as her series of RepJ stories on NTV.)
  • Ward meetings
  • Town meetings
  • Boards and commissions (structure, effectiveness, meetings)
  • Public input before, during, and after Council and other public meetings. This would include open mic.
  • Blogs
  • Online input and discussions

For the past two weeks, we’ve been discussing (117 comments thus far) the pros and cons of Northfield’s online eco-system for civic engagement. The discussion has mostly focused on Locally Grown, RepJ, and Northfield’s civic blogosphere within the context of professional journalism and citizen journalism – and with some forays into civic capacity-building.

Discussion on this blog post, however, needs to be both broader (not just online engagement) and more practical (what specifically needs to be changed or tried). If the discussion is substantive IMHO, I’ll produce a PDF transcript and ask that it be given to each councilor before their Feb. meeting.

Councilor Zweifel has agreed to follow this discussion and chime in as she sees fit.

I’ve been complaining about the City’s web site for years, as I don’t think we’re getting good value from the $85,000 that was spent on it in 2005-06.

Here’s a Jan. 2006 document (PDF) titled CITY OF NORTHFIELD WEB SITE POLICY.

So part of this discussion can include what needs to be changed with the city’s web site, especially as it relates to public input/engagement.

January 10, 2009

Here’s an excerpt from John Thomas’ recent comment in the message thread on the RepJ Mayor Rossing video

Technology infrastructure is equally important as other infrastructure items when it comes to the smooth interaction between city departments.

Also, I would like her thoughts on leveraging city wide wireless as a public utility run by the city, or if she feels that a private vendor could implement and run it better.

Also, if you could ask about:

1. What improvements are coming to the city website?

2. Have they considered a transactional interface on the website. I.E. the ability to use a credit card to pay a water bill, or pay city fees, etc.

2a. Can we at least get credit card processing to be able to pay a water bill over the phone or in person? Mailing in a paper check is SO last century.

3. Leveraging technology on the web to allow citizens to interact with the city, doing simple transaction, freeing up clerical labor for other tasks.

4. Online reporting of water meter readings.

5. Continued utilization and implementation of GIS systems for property management. For instance, a database that can be leveraged by the fire department in a laptop, that has building structure information, age, sprinkler systems, business type, hazardous chemical storage, and other firefighting information in it.

6. Enhanced Mapping of city assets.

7. Computerized database of all crime activity within our city, for utilization by the police department for crime trending, etc.

8. A searchable content management system, and more information readily available at a department level on the website.

9. An area for press releases.

10. Getting the police blotter out in a timely manner. It used to be a few days old when published in the paper. It is now over a month old. Is this an IT issue, or is there some other reason it is so far behind.

11. Self service technology kiosk at City Hall, where basic transactions can be handled with minimal city staff interaction.

12. How does Melissa see the utilization of technology to leverage process improvements, time and cost savings within various departments within the City of Northfield.

For Melissa and Joel:

Is there someone working as, or should there be established, a communications coordinator, that is responsible for defining standards for web content and other materials published on the city website, to include visual presentation, location on the website, searchability, currency, and accuracy.

This should be someone like a spokesman, or a public affairs officer, that also fields media requests, and helps to ensure that the city is speaking with “one voice”.

Also, is there a Northfield Information Technology Strategic Planning and Vision document in the works? 😎

January 10, 2009

I look forward to a work session discussion,when the assigned council committee members come back with their report on improved communication with the citizens.
    There is a fine line between managing, enabling, and regulating citizen input in all its various permutations.So far, the comments are sounding a bit toward the regulating side, although that’s certainly not what we heard during campaign time.

The most important component of citizen input is the work of the citizen boards and commissions; I get concerned when I hear councilors question the validity of the input of those groups because of not being synchronous with the council’s opinion … but then citizen-bashing has not been above the MO of the past council and some of its members; Let’s hope there is no tolerance for that on the new assemblage.

But this evaluation of citizen input process definitely needs to be a very public discussion.

January 10, 2009
  4. Bill Ostrem said:

City leaders should keep in mind that it is difficult for some people to attend meetings in person. Evening meetings, for example, can be difficult for parents to attend due to child care duties.

Online comments and other forms of input other than meetings are therefore important.

I often worry that the needs of parents with small children, or the needs of other groups, receive less attention than the needs of those who have the wherewithal to attend meetings.

January 10, 2009
  5. norman butler said:

What should be changed?
    The people who care should also be the people that matter. For a long time, this has not been the case and this is what should be changed.

January 10, 2009

We need to have our civic engagement do a better job of following the rules of a representative democracy.

January 11, 2009
  7. Erica Zweifel said:

Thank you Griff for setting up this discussion. I am eager to hear comments on this issue. What would people like to see changed? How do you want to contact the council? How do you want them to contact you?

I am open to any and all suggestions, so now is the time to share your ideas. I cannot change anything on my own, I will need your help, support and suggestions to improve civic engagement in Northfield.

January 11, 2009
  8. Tracy Davis said:

Erica, I appreciate your spearheading this. Thanks for being a problem-solver! I’m looking forward to seeing something actually happen as a result of this effort.

My biggest concern is the maintenance of the City website. As both a vehicle for communication and PR, it’s woefully underutilized. I have more thoughts, but I’d like to see what others bring up before going on with more.

9. Peter Millin said:

All the technology can’t substitute transparency and the feeling of being heard.
    It is vital that policy and budgetary decisions reflect and include those that are not being heard all the time.
    Too often (to a lesser degree in local politics) there is a feeling of helplessness and insecurity when dealing with political issues. Way too often the average person feels talked down to rather then engaged.
    It is important that the language and the issues that are being discussed are discussed in a straightforward and open manner.
    Many times peoples specialized on certain issues, assume that the general public understands their language and have all the background information needed to wholly understand the issues at hand.
    If the mayor and city council is serious about engaging people they have to be more transparent then in the past. Make common sense decision that are good for all (not just certain interest groups), stay within our means and communicate decision to the general public that are easily understood.

January 12, 2009

OK…. here’s a non-techy (which i believe many of your readers are) POV.
    IMHO, this is definitely not an improvement, as a matter of fact it seems to be looking backwards in design principles, and design is , in general, something I know something about.
    This is so much less “clean” than the old design, and the right sidebar is not as quick and easy to scan, much less read clearly. Colors, lack of contrast and size of type are all problematic, as far as I’m concerned.
    Sorry for the critique, but here’s the good part…. I’m so glad you care so much that you are constantly evolving………
    OH, Ads above the comment line? Maybe you need to explain the economics of this site in order for that to be understood more fully.

11. Tracy Davis said:

Thanks for the comments, Kiffi… we’re still working on it and I’ll experiment with text size over the next day or two. And I don’t like the right sidebar either.

Regarding the ads, this is also experimental, but we’re assuming that anyone who wants to advertise will want their ad to appear “above the fold”.

Maybe we can do some fundraising with our regulars, saying that if we raise $xx then we can eliminate the ads above the Discussion. 🙂

12. Holly Cairns said:

I like it. This design is cool. Perhaps only the young will like it, though.

13. Tracy Davis said:

THREAD DRIFT! I didn’t catch this before.

The current thread is about feedback to the City Council task force regarding public engagement.

If you want to comment about the new look of Locally Grown, please use this link.

14. Holly Cairns said:

And I was so happy to drift… I even broke my “if Kiffi is commenting here I shouldn’t comment here” rule to show my support!

January 12, 2009

I think that we need to find a way to engage community partners, such as the Chamber, Lions, the churches, etc. For example, no one requested the input of the Chamber on the building of a liquor store. I can’t think of any organization or group of people with a stronger interest or knowledge.

16. Erica Zweifel said:

Great comments so far; I am hearing that you would like more opportunities to comment online, involving more of the community partners in the process and increased transparency. Keep the comments coming!

January 12, 2009

Tracy: Is it possible that the “thread drift” comments (you, me, and Holly) all got mechanically placed wrong; I can’t imagine that we all did that wrong in perfect sequence, can you?

But Holly, I don’t get your comment: “if Kiffi is commenting here”, etc. what is the meaning of that? We’ve never met; Que pasa?

Erica: I do have a long comment, but have to think it through a bit more…..

Erica,

I think that civic engagement has 2 sides. One is being involved in the community by working without the expectation of political return, like many of the service organizations, and city committees.

The “civic engagement” most talked about here is the opportunity to affect public policy by lobbying the government for your own personal agenda.

To quote my grandfather, “If you want to complain, you better be working.” That’s the kind of civic engagement that most benefits the City, not the talking.

19. Holly Cairns said:

Drifting again (here comes the axe) never mind, Kiffi. Maybe over coffee some day.

20. Charlene Coulombe-Fiore said:

Wow….what a revamp!
    I love the colors and the lovely snowy picture of downtown Northield. It is gonna take some getting use to , and I truly think you have added alot of interesting points and features here.
    All that work, surely (takes time and money) so a banner ad is understandable.
    Here’s a few question I have…Will the participants change?
    I can vision an increase in traffic if you continue to focus on issues and concerns with facts.
    All & All I think it’s great. Good job!

January 13, 2009
  21. Erica Zweifel said:

Thanks David, so how about some suggestions for getting folks off the couch or out from behind the keyboard and actively participating. Are there some community groups that are already doing this that the council should be working with?

What about other city models? Has anyone lived somewhere other than Northfield where something happened that opened your eyes to the joys of civic engagement? Please share.

January 13, 2009

Erica: One way to get people to engage is to not allow so much opportunity for “civic engagement” without corresponding civic responsibility.

For example, my wife, Nancy, was an active volunteer in our children’s school for many years. I have been a chess coach for 17 or 18 years. Rather than petitioning the school board for what “we” wanted, we just got involved and did it.

So, the short answer is – if people are telling you that they want this or that from the government, ask them how they are going to help. The Way Park issue is a good example. Both the police and fire departments are opposed to closing the street. The Comp Plan also discourages cul-de-sacs. Are the neighbors offering to help, or are they just complaining?

I like the way Obama has phrased his message. He isn’t talking about civic “engagement”; he is talking about civic responsibility.

January 13, 2009

david : It is my observation that people who are civically (sp?) engaged are almost always accepting of civic responsibility; don’t the two go hand in hand?

If I think back over what some might term the ‘usual suspects’ at the open mic, for instance, almost all of them have either run for office, serve on Boards or Commission or have in the past, or serve on other non-profit boards or work actively in non- profit organizations.

In other words , those who are not adverse to public participation do so, and with dedication and energy.

In my POV, what IS lacking, is open mic comments from people who work or volunteer in other discrete but large segments of the community, like the school district, or the hospital. Or the colleges, which are so integral to NF’s character. Or the surrounding rural townships which have so affected Nf’s culture, and its historical roots.

I would very much like to see public comments, to the council, about things other than just the narrow politics of NF; because I think the council should have a larger, more inclusive picture which guides its POLICY making.

And that what’s the most important task for the council: POLICY based decision making; something they rarely discuss aside from ‘Plans’, be it Comp, Transportation, whatever.

January 13, 2009
  24. Bruce Anderson said:

David L.,

I object strongly to your latest comment concerning civic engagement, civic responsibility, and “the Way Park issue.” Your condescending tone is not appreciated by me, nor, I’m sure, by the members of the Friends of Way Park board of directors (my wife included). The Friends of Way Park, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, formed to “honor the Way family gift of 1933 by preserving this community parkland for present and future generations.” It’s stated purpose is to

• Support, advise, and cooperate with the City of Northfield in the planning, development, programming, beautification, and maintenance of Way Park
    • Encourage the use of Way Park by the entire Northfield community
    • Memorialize the 1939 Northfield hospital that previously occupied the south park of the park
    • Encourage and receive gifts and bequests in support of the purposes previously noted

You may disagree, David, with the point of view of Friends of Way Park; you may disagree with the opinions expressed here and elsewhere by members of their board (such as David Sudermann) and their supporters (such as me), but it hardly seems fair to ask whether “the neighbors,” as you disparagingly and dismissively refer to us, are offering to help or just complaining. I have never intentionally insulted you and the Chamber of Commerce in such a manner, for example, when you have advocated positions on behalf of the Chamber. All I ask is similar civility in return.

You and Nancy are to be commended for your civic volunteerism. Everyone I know, myself included, who has commented on “the Way Park issue” has also been extensively involved as a community volunteer for many years in ways that we feel are valuable to the community. In my case, that has included volunteering in the schools, on school district task forces, and on city task forces among other activities. I’d appreciate it if you were less condescending in future. Even people with whom you may not share very many values may be people of character and responsibility.

January 13, 2009

Bruce: On the issue of civic “engagement”, I think that it is fair to say that Friends of Way Park are engaged for the purpose of benefitting their special interest – Way Park. To date, I haven’t heard any offers of civic engagement that involve contributions of time or money by the organization or its members.

January 13, 2009
  26. Bruce Anderson said:

You know nothing about the history of the organization. There have been many offers of contributions of both time and money.

January 13, 2009

I think the Council is asking for some very practical suggestions for public input right now. So let’s try to move away from the theoretical discussion about civic engagement in this message thread towards some details on input.

How about Ward meetings?

I’ve often thought that there should be more Ward meetings but I’m wondering if it wouldn’t be better to have living-room/backyard neighborhood meetings instead. So smaller and more frequent so that people both get to know their neighbors better as well as feel more comfortable talking in a more informal setting.

January 13, 2009

Erica wondered if there might be a way for the Council to get more public input via the web before a Council meeting, once the agenda and supporting documents are published on the City’s web site.

In other words, could there be an electronic version of open mic where you can address the council on any issue before a meeting?

What might it look like?

January 13, 2009

Citizens have had the capability to e-mail their councilors on any subject they wish the councilors to have their opinion on, in the same way they can call or write to them. I think the personal contact is best because it allows there to be a discussion if necessary.

However, that is an additional load of work for already busy volunteers( councilors) ….Have you ever seen the volume of paper the councilors have to deal with?

If there were an online version of open mic, there would be the need for a lot of site management; look at either the News, or LG’s time consumed on this . With the city’s budget woes, I can’t see how the personnel resource could be accomplished.

I keep thinking of the night about six or eight elderly recreational van/camper travelers came to the open mic to protest being sited for storing their campers on their own property, as they have for years. With the building permits down, the building official had been told to go on an active, rather than complaint based program, and was going out as he had been instructed to do, looking for possible citations. When those people spoke, in person at the open mic, to the council, the whole situation turned around, PDQ.

There are times when the public comment, and the numbers of it, is the effective means to have the council consider the issue. How would that have been matched by ‘silent’
    website comments?

January 14, 2009

Griff: couldn’t you ask Bruce and David L to move their comments to each other to the Way Park thread?

I think their are some serious differences there that need to be resolved, or at least aired.

January 14, 2009
  31. Erica Zweifel said:

Thank you for the redirection Griff. I announced at my first council meeting that I will be holding quarterly ward meetings. Here are my thoughts on ward meetings; I plan to hold the meetings in various locations in the third ward, there will be a presentation about the location, awards will be given for volunteerism in the third ward, and a question and answer session will wrap it up. What else would people like to have at a ward meeting?

To Kiffi’s comment, yes the councilors are concerned about online discussions adding to their work load. But Griff assures me that there is some crazy technology out there that will allow me to aggregate all of the blogs that I am currently following onto one page. So at the click of a button I can glace at them all. Is this really true or is Griff just pulling my leg?

January 14, 2009

Erica: My concern is that the current public input processes is already dominated by the over-represented. Creating additional public input opportunities is going to exacerbate the political situation.

It is not more public engagement that should be the goal; it should be better public engagement.

January 14, 2009
  33. Tracy Davis said:

David, I think that’s exactly what we’re trying to figure out: How to use all the means at our disposal to improve the quality of public engagement. Making use of new technologies may be part of that.

Erica, Griff’s not pulling your leg.

One specific idea that could work is for the City to set up an automated online “open mic” for one-way communication with the council, for people who aren’t able to attend the evening meeting. It would mean that the councillors would have to be responsible to read through the comments, but they could be included as part of the public record. The devil’s in the details, but I can see ways in which it could be done with very little staff time to update and manage, and the system itself could prevent multiple comments from the same person, etc.

Griff will hate the one-way communication idea, but in this specific case I’m trying to address the concerns of people who can’t attend meetings.

January 14, 2009

Is there a problem with phone calls and e-mail that prevents public comment? New technology is fun, but is it really needed in a town this small?
    At some point, I’d love to see a video/webcam conference set-up at the library or city hall that lets local folks interact with county employees and speak at county board meetings. Having consultants and city officials appear by video conferencing could save money and time as well. But city residents don’t have that geographic disadvantage in reaching city officials.
    I’m a little concerned about the overarching assumption that the public needs to be more involved in city government. People are involved in the community through their churches, schools, volunteer work, neighborhood associations, the senior center. They talk about their concerns, get involved in what matters to them.
    The city government basically makes sure the streets get plowed, the grass is mowed, the police and fire departments work. Yes, I’m oversimplifying, but these are not issues in which untrained citizens need to be involved on a regular basis. I think an informative website, quarterly ward meetings, responsive councilors and alert city employees can get a pretty accurate read on public opinion. Folks in this town show no reticence in sharing their opinions over coffee or at the grocery store, so I’m sure councilors, board and commission members and employees have a lot of interaction. Perhaps it would help to use this personal network to get the word out on issues that would benefit from broader public discussion and then monitor the response they get.
    I guess I’d like to know exactly what kind of public involvement is missing right now. Is there any evidence that Northfield has less than average attendance at meetings, less than average interest in appointments, less than average phone and personal contact with officials? In short, do we have a problem, and if so, what is it?

January 14, 2009
  35. David Koenig said:

Erica,

The Ward meetings that I ran always featured one City employee who was there to talk about their work, usually something that was timely and a general Q&A session.

So, you might invite the Park and Rec director to talk about Way Park, the Skateboard Park, 3rd Ward Park Development Plans, etc.

Or, the Police Chief might come by to talk about gangs, graffiti, drug prevention, staff, policing philosophy, etc.

By doing this, you’ll not only help to educate your ward members, but also build a closer connection to the staff who work for the City.

I’d suggest staying with one venue, though, that is convenient for all. That way, if someone is heading off to your meeting, but forgot to check where it is, they will know. We always met at the Northfield Library, for example.

I also sent out a quarterly newsletter with Ward specific issues highlighted. Nothing elaborate, but a one or two-page summary of items about which they might like to know.

Best wishes! I found the meetings to be very helpful.

January 14, 2009
  36. Tracy Davis said:

Anne, one of my concerns is that I believe there should be more ways to get comments into the public record; hence the “virtual open mic” idea. I don’t much care what technologies are used to do it, but it’s easier to skim text than fast-forward through video.

January 14, 2009

Erica: Anne brings up a good question. She asks if there is a problem and what the problem is. My opinion – too much input from the public, and not enough “engagement” on the output.

January 14, 2009

Tracy, I think we agree in part. The city can add a comments section to the website and let people post, and can summarize or cut and paste e-mails, calls and letters.
    I guess my point is that there is no definition of what needs to be done or what it can or should produce.
    How does anyone judge whether the plans are successful or worth the effort if there’s no defined public demand or defined goal?

January 14, 2009
  39. […] the discussion thread here on LoGro attached to the blog post Public engagement for the City of Northfield: Councilors want to know what should be changed and she’ll be a guest on our show next week to talk more about […]

January 15, 2009
  40. David Koenig said:

David L, I see that your position has been modified now to include “…not enough engagement on the output”. That is a helpful modification and makes your point more clear.

You and I don’t agree on the need for less input. However, we do agree on more need for engagement on the output.

January 15, 2009

David K: By more engagement on the output, I mean citizens working to solve their own problems, or working with the government to come up with solutions.

An example of this type of engagement on Way Park would be for the City Council to state that they won’t approve any design that the fire and police oppose. The citizens could then work directly with the fire and police on a mutually agreeable solution. The citizens could also meet with the Planning Commission to determine a new rule for building cul-de-sacs, rather than making their case a “special” case.

January 15, 2009
  42. Erica Zweifel said:

Let’s take a minute and look at the other side of the issue. We have been focusing on how citizens can contact councilors, I would like to also talk about how councilors can best inform citizens. Ward meetings, councilor blogs, articles in the Northfield News, the city webpage, league of women voters webpage, logro and council meetings; where do you go to get information?

January 16, 2009
  43. victor summa said:

Erica : The best model I have seen was the one David Koenig used for his ward meetings; some staff and some ‘hard ‘ info on a current project, and then a question and answer session, all topped off by his newsletter. Although David represented ward 1, people from all over the community would attend his meetings because of how well structured and informative they were.
    It would be hard to come up with a better solution.
    Thanks for working on this……..

January 16, 2009
  44. Bruce Anderson said:

David L.,

Regarding your comment above that

They already have. Friends of Way Park board members met with both the fire and police chiefs, individually, prior to the January 5 public hearing, heard their concerns about emergency vehicle access, and crafted a mutually agreeable compromise that a gated, driveable pedestrian/bike pathway across the current 1st Street corridor, accessible to emergency vehicles, be incorporated into the park design. My wife, Anne Larson, spoke directly of this compromise solution during the public hearing.

I agree with you that civic engagement on solutions is crucial. I believe that The Friends of Way Park have modeled this approach admirably. They are NOT just whining and seeking special dispensations. From the get-go, they have been “working with the government to come up with solutions,” as you suggest. As has been discussed on this and the Way Park discussion thread, they are committed to working to assist the City in funding future implementation of the park master plan.

Along with David K., I disagree with you on the need for more engagement on public input. How else are our elected officials to make informed decisions about the views of the citizens they represent? I’m particularly puzzled as to why you seem so eager to assume the worst of The Friends of Way Park, when there is abundant objective information that they have worked very hard to play by the rules and help, rather than hinder, the City on this project. I think that this is a positive example of civic engagement, both on the input and output sides of the equation.

January 16, 2009

Bruce: I don’t have anything against Friends of Way Park. However, they are public engaged in a very different way than 5th Bridge, The Lions, Sertoma, Rotary, and other civic organizations. We need more “giving” public engagement, and less “asking” public engagement.

January 16, 2009
  46. Bruce Anderson said:

We may have to agree to disagree, David. I feel Friends of Way Park haven given, and will continue to give, much. They have given of their time toward a public good: development of a high-quality neighborhood park that benefits the neighborhood and broader community. In addition, they have committed to raising funds for this public good once there is a firm plan to move forward.

January 16, 2009

Bruce: I think that we can all agree that not all public engagement is equal. I hope that we can also agree that some public engagement is counter-productive to good government.

I am also of the opinion that the quality of the public engagement would be better if it were not so easy to be engaged. My experience is that the additional engagement is usually directed toward a special interest, not the greater good of Northfield.

Erica: To the extent that the City Council members can force input to go through the representatives rather than having every issue be a Council issue, public engagement, especially for the under-represented, will be better.

January 19, 2009

Who is to set themself up as the arbiter of the ‘value’ of each individual’s public engagement?
    I find that position to be somewhat offensive, David L.

You have said you have coached chess club for several years; I think that’s a great thing to do. Besides the value to the kids’ skill development, you are building an intergenerational relationship that should be productive.
    But as to that ‘public engagement’ versus David Suderman, for instance, spending untold hours researching the history of the west side in his quest for knowledge on the Way Park issue, I would hate to say that one is more valuable than the other. Coaching chess versus contributing a huge volume of research to the Historic Society; I don’t think those are values that can be weighed against each other, except by each person’s interest.

The idea that the Friends of Way Park had a selfish interest in regaining the parkland really shows a lack of understanding of the entire process from the beginning. Chris Ennis walked the whole town, in the winter months, obtaining signatures (6 or 700) from north, south , east, and west… all over this community… from people who wanted the hospital land to revert to the park use that the Way family had specified, if the hospital should move. That was not a selfish act.

Both the founding group, and the now established board, have multiple people on them who have served the community in many ways,on boards and commissions, as elected officials, as teachers in our schools, etc.

You can argue the issue of the street closing; you can argue against the principle of taking the opportunity to double a park in a 100 year old neighborhood, but in my opinion, it is wrong to demean the motives of the people who have now worked for years to return this gift to the community.

January 19, 2009

Kiffi: I would hope that the councilors can arbitrate what is valuable and not valuable public engagement. I don’t know how they are going to evaluate what should be changed without deciding what is valuable.

January 19, 2009